Diamonds are the glittering stones that increment the zenith of one’s beauty. Its sheen, refulgence, and radiance is enough to amaze the onlookers, hence giving the wearer a benign identity. Most of the times people embrace diamonds in their polished forms, but do you know that rough diamonds are also gradually becoming the latest part of the fashion freaks? Hence, if you are also among one of those, aspiring to buy diamonds jewelry, here is useful information just for you.
What are rough diamonds?.
These are the natural unpolished diamonds, dug out from the depths of the mines and appear like shards of glass usually found on the beach. They are white, off white and comes in vivid colors like yellow, brown and green. As per stats, more than 5000 classifications of raw diamond are possible and one can sort them according to gem quality, industrial quality and crushing boart.
Usually, they accompany a lower price tag as compared to polished diamonds, but very few are able to pass the gem-quality standard and qualify to become rough diamonds. To be precise, only 20% of the diamonds removed from the earth in natural state every year possess gem-quality. The remaining 80% have inferior quality and popular as industrial diamonds.
The criteria to choose rough diamonds are different from the selection of polished diamonds. While cut, color, carat and quality are the 4C’s to determine the excellence of a polished diamonds, their rough counterparts do not have any regulated set of evaluation standards. At the most, one can sort them as per the size, color, and shapes of the crystals. This is perhaps the reasons why it is often tough to know their exact price.
Tips to buy rough diamonds
If you are among the rare ones to express your love for rough diamonds jewelry, here are some valuable points to consider while buying the same:
- Shop in the daylight: The true color of the diamond is more likely to surface in the broad daylight and with a northern exposure.
- Color test: You can use diamond color test grader to know the color of the stone under a daylight lamp. Just put it inside the grader, press gently on the paperboard and check out the color.
- First timer: If you are new to purchasing rough diamond, it is advisable to use a diamond tester, to make sure that the stone is diamond instead of a simulant.
- Analyze: It is important to check the rough diamond to know its weight after polishing. Sever other essential criteria worthy to take care of before buying include rough shape, internal stress, crystallizations deformations, etc.
- Be attentive: If your salesperson tries to convince you about the color improvement of raw diamond during cutting, then beware. There is no such rule; the salesperson might be trying to deceive you.
- Bring your testing tools: As a beginner, you may have hard time knowing how to differentiate between the fake and real raw diamonds jewelry. To avoid the confusion, it is better to take your own testing equipment and materials like diamond tester, polariscope, loupe 10 X, scale, and so on.